Re: [AMC-list] crap, did I ruin my 195.6

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 08:17, <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> my vote is for rambler mentality. retorque the head, get the lower hose
> fixed,
> refill with coolant, and keep an eye on the water level, plugs, and oil.

Yeah, and this is what I'm gonna do.

The unknown for me was, did the hose blow off 10 miles back? In which case
the head ought to come off. Or did it pop off when I stopped or close to it?
In which case it's probably OK.

Upon more examination, I think the pressure peaked when I dropped into idle
and stalled, and there was the big WOOSH of steam from the hood. If it had
run dry mile(s) back there wouldn't have been any water left to make the big
steam ball. I drove another 1/4 mile and shut it off.

It just wasn't that hot in there, no crackling etc, and the temperaure
"tell" is still there. Pulled all the plugs the next morning, fixed the
radiator (the bead on the lower hose nipple was pretty small, but I think I
didn't tighten it enough and the sealant lubed it off. Drove to a store this
morning, it's fine so far. The idle is tweaked up perfectly, 19 In Hg 700
rpm.

So I'll re-torque tomorrow and watch fluids. I could toss another head
together in a week if I have to. This is hopefully the end of it.

I will install a real temp gauge though! It's tough to find one though that
isn't GM.