Re: [AMC-list] last long trip?

Well, I'll play the contrarian here.  I suggest you rebuild the 258 and leave the 4.0 liter nonsense to someone who wants to fool with electronic fuel injection and other mods you would have to make.  Nothing is as easy as it sounds.  If you were happy with the 258 performance before the engine got tired, you'll be happy with a good rebuild.  As Matt (or someone said) rebuilding one of these engines is not rocket science and any competent machine shop should be able to do refurbish the block, crank, rods and install the new pistons on the rods.  You can reassemble it yourself in a clean workplace with simple tools and an AMC TSM and perhaps a general engine rebuilding book for reference.  Go for it.
Joe Fulton