Re: [AMC-list] last long trip?

" From: "Tom" <tnmorrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I have thought in the past about swapping the 258 for a 4ltr, and
" had two Cherokees of the right vintage (for the front axle bolt
" up), but my son, uh, cooked both engines, so that was out.  All the
" other things I've done to keep this car road-and-show-worthy and
" inspectable have taken precedence over the engine, until now.  Of
" course, I was just in the Detroit area, where every street corner
" seems to have an engine rebuild shop, but that's not the case
" around here.  In my town, I'm the ONLY AMC owner registered,
" according to the lady at the town hall.  There are Cherokees up
" the yinyang, but most are post-AMC (Chrysler).  I've tried to keep
" the car mostly stock, for shows, and the 4ltr would need an
" electric fuel pump; right?  I swapped out the T4 for a T5 last
" year, from my '83 sedan (because I had it, and the T4 needed
" rebuilding); does that limit the model years for engine swaps?
" I've got the TSM for the '82; I'll recheck the vacuum line
" schematic; thanks, Richard.  My car usually goes to bed for the
" winter; maybe this year will be the year for engine bay
" detailing, with the engine out?  Thanks for all the replies, guys.

all 4.0 blocks up to about '99 have the eagle axle lugs and amc motor
mounts.  for '00 ['99 on grands] they changed, but i'm not sure how
much.

cherokee wouldn't be my first choice for engine donor; it was not
originally designed for an engine as long as the i6, so when they
crammed it in they had to use a very oddball offset fan drive.
wranglers and grand cherokees have a 'normal' fan; up to the early
'00s wranglers still had a 3sp auto, though it's electronically
controlled in the tj ['97-up].  that's why i thought a yj wrangler
would be the easy donor if you had an auto also, but it might be just
as easy to swap the electronic auto along with a tj 4.0.  [the ecm
controls it and would probably get upset if it was disconnected]

yes, you'd need an electric fuel pump.  the stick won't limit you for
years; all 4.0s have the same bolt pattern, but unless you want to mod
your bellhousing for the cps you'll want to relocate it to the
harmonic balancer.  several places have kits, but most don't use the
stock cps; one [clifford's?] does.  for early 4.0s you can use the
stock jeep pilot bearing, but around '92 they changed both crank and
bearing; however, advance adapters has a pilot bushing [#716120] for
the later cranks.

you may continue to be happy with a 258, but you'll never know what
you're missing with a 4.0 unless you try it!

as a halfway step, mopar used to have a 50-state legal efi kit for the
258 which was essentially the '91-5 4.0 setup with modified intake
[new dowel holes] to sit properly on the older head.  it was actually
4 sub-kits: stick or auto ecms, and serp or v-belt cps-relocation
balancers.  they claimed 165hp for it and the one mag review i read
beat that.  dunno if it's still available - probably not - but folks
have copied it with junkyard 4.0 hardware.

btw 15x7 wrangler and cherokee wheels have the correct offset for the
eagle, though i don't know if they'd clear the fenders.  likewise,
rare jeeps had 16x7s and 15x8s, but ditto on fitting.