Re: [AMC-list] Need 196 for 61 Wagon

If the valve cover has two large screws that fasten it to the cylinder head it is a 195.6 OHV engine. Only the overhead valve were installed in the Classic series.  It could be either a cast iron block or it could have the aluminum block.  The easiest was to tell (besides using a magnet on the block) is to look for the oil filter facing to the rear on the oil pump low on the passenger side of the engine.  If it has that oil filter arrangement it is has the aluminum block.  Joe Fulton