Re: [AMC-list] Need 196 for 61 Wagon

I'm in Lebanon, TN. (just east of nashville)
I got a 63 Rambler Classic with an engine. I think it's the 196 OHV. Somebody once told me how to tell, but I can't remember. The tranny is automatic.

 If somebody could remind me how to tell what I have, maybe it's what you need.
It's NOT the flat head.

 Need 196 for 61 Wagon

I got a little more info:

1961 Classic, 196 OHV, automatic transmission. Located in Springfield, TN.
This would be a crank with a "cone" on the end, I think. The "flat butt"
crank for the auto didn't appear until late 62 or 63. I'm not sure if he
needs a rebuilder or is looking for a running engine, I suspect the
later. If a rebuilder is needed (bad block?) then any year 196 work
provided the crankshaft in the original engine is good and can be used.

If a running engine is needed it must be from an automatic equipped car.
There was supposedly a cone attachment for the flat crank to allow using
the auto, but I've never seen one, and don't know if the cone is pressed
into the pilot pushing hole or made onto the crank. I suspect the later,
and that the adapter pressed into the pilot hole. But that's just
guessing on my part. The cone meets the torque converter and supports
the front of it, so you can't run without the cone. I'm not sure if a
later model "flat butt" crank converter and flexplate would work with
the earlier transmission.

--------