Re: [AMC-list] steering column and box

" From: das24rules@xxxxxxxxx
"
" i am thinking about adding an IDIDIT tilt steering column to casper. also a
" quicker ratio manual box. the ididit columns come with gm style wiring kit.
" will that be able to be spliced into the 62 rambler wiring? also, i know it
" has been talked about before, but i forgot.  what steering box will bolt onto
" the old ramblers? for some reason vega sticks in my mind, but maybe not.
" anything more common able to bolt to it? how hard is it to redrill the frame
" there to mount a different box?

the vega ps box has the same mounts as a pre-'75 saginaw manual box.
my '68 has a saginaw box; my '66 didn't, but i don't -know- if the
mounts were changed.  i -think- they're the same.

for many many years [at least 10 iirc], amc used an adapter plate to
mount saginaw ps gear to the manual frame pattern.  they used saginaw
ps even before they went to saginaw manual gear, at least on
americans.

i don't believe vega manual steering ratio was anything special.  my
'68 american has an amx optional quick-steering box, 16:1, ~3 turns
lock-to-lock.  that's the fastest i know of; stock was 24:1 and stock
amx/javelin was 20:1.

ford slave-cylinder ps gear was often a 16:1 saginaw manual box, but i
think they have different mounts.  it'd be nice to be wrong on this.

i don't see why wiring would be a problem, though you may have to add
stuff to complete the 4-way flasher wiring, etc.