From: Jerry Casper <gremlingts@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] 76 Hornet Sportabout finally DOING some sporting about...
To: "AMC" <amc-delmarva@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 3:29 PM

Well, after 3-4 more weeks of doing nothing, I finally had some time, good weather, ( and motivation ) to go out and tear down the new carb on the wagon I bought. It was extremely clean inside, no issues there. I DID notice the bracket on the brass float was bent and wavy some, so not having any specs for this carburetor, I just kinda used a little EE ( Eyeball Engineering ) to make an adjustment to it, because it seemed like it wouldn't raise the float stop high enough to shut off fuel. Might have been why it smelled rich, and possibly overflowed internally, etc. Anyway, put it all back together, did the semi-auto choke adjustment again, redid the idle adjustment, and crossed my fingers and took it back out for a test drive locally. I drove it up and down steep hills in my local neighborhoods, and not once did it pop, sputter, fizzle, puke, or cut off. Oil light came on once when I came down a steep hill and turned a corner ( low a quart when I got home
to check it ), but otherwise it was a well-behaved Rambler wagon, and idled smooth as it ever has. Ready for daily driving? Not  yet ! I"m going to take it out every night this week locally, just run it local and make sure it behaves itself. If it can do that for a week, then I believe I'll call it fixed and  start using it more. I also found loose screws and one manifold bolt loose on the carb, so that didn't help, either, I'm sure. Finding all KINDS of loose hardware with this Buzzer.

So, next project is to take off the driver's door panel and look at the paddle handle spring, as you can't open the door from the outside. Just flaps in the breeze. I can live with that, but a sputtering, non-useable car I can't. So hopefully a little more afternoon work and maybe I can either fix the doorhandle, or find out what's wrong with it. Either will be progress. :)  So, just enjoying some indoor A/C before I go back out to tackle more Fix-It issues with the Sportabout. All fer now,

Jerry in Virginia , hoping to be buzzin' the highways in the Hornet again soon...