[AMC-list] moar! de-rusting...

The "water neck" aka thingie what holds the thermostat in and mounts upper
hose, mine is so rotten it leaks. Might just be seepage under the hose, it's
rough and doesn't seal well.  The 195.6 OHV.

I have a spare, but it's not much better. So I decided to try the
electrolytic de-rust thing. Man is it easy!

Gallon milk jug chopped in half. Pair of clip leads. Chunk of iron rod.
Water and one teaspoon of lye (I had it in my shop). Put the rod in the
center of the neck thing, which is where I want to eat the rust first. Then
I'll do the outside in separate steps. Not really annoying, since the
de-rust part requires zero effort, just waiting.

I used a small gel cell first. Worked, but died in 60 minutes. Put an old
car battery I keep in the shop w/trickle charger on it. MANY BUBBLES.

So it wants some amperage.

It'll be pitted when I'm done, but I plan to bake it dry, use Eastwood
Chassis Black on all of it, but JB Weld the hose seal area, file smooth,
then paint. Should be more than good enough. I JB Welded the pitting in the
head around the thermostat seal area and it's held up fine, since it's under
no real force and not more than 250F or whatever.

Man, people let these engines go, to get all that metal so corroded like
that!

--
All of your arguments are invalid.
Enjoy your unstable system.