Re: [AMC-list] 1057 vs. 2057

I can't find anything on the 1057; it may have been superceded by the 2057. There is also an 1157, which has a 50% brighter tail lamp filament. According to GE Lighting, the 1157 is rated at 27/8 watts, while the 2057 is rated at 27/7 watts. Life rating is the same on both.

The 2357 is rated at 28/8 watts. It gives you a brighter stop light, but you trade filament life for it; only 400 hours on this bulb.

Here are GE's offerings of double-contact bayonet S-8 bulbs, in order of stop lamp brightness:
Type  Wattage  Candlepower (MSCP)  Life (hours)
2057   27/7        32/2            1200/5000
1157   27/8        32/3            1200/5000
2397   29/7        40/2             400/5000
2357   28/8        40/3             400/5000

The safety standards for visibility are based on distance, so manufacturers will select a lamp that meets or exceeds the requirements of the standard, when mounted with the reflector and lens. The heat in the housing comes mostly from the tail lamp, since it's on whenever the lights are on, and the turn/stop filament only comes on during those operations. My guess is that 2357s ought to be okay for just about any application. If you want bright stop lamps, but don't want to chance the 14% additional continuous load of these lamps, try the 2397.

--Glen

At 05:09 PM 5/31/2009, tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 14:45, Wrambler <wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2057 is brighter in lumens and has a slightly shorter life.
> They interchange fine, maybe a possibility of extra heat distorting a lens
> in a housing that is small.
> I have not had that issue with mine.

I'm using 2357's in all my cars, even brighter than 2057's, and no problems
at all, not even the 63 classic, where the lens is small. They seem to last
years too.