Re: [AMC-list] Last 401

They did use amc 304's as well.

--- On Sun, 5/31/09, Glen Hoag <hoag@xxxxxx> wrote:

From: Glen Hoag <hoag@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Last 401
To: "AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 3:05 PM

Just to muddy the waters a bit more, apart from the service
replacements of AMC 401s with smaller AMC engines, IH trucks were
offered with a 304 V-8.  This is *not* an AMC 304; it's part of the
IH 304/345/392 family of engines.  (Not that anyone goes looking for
an AMC 304 all that often.)

When you find an AMC engine in a 73-74 IH, it wouldn't hurt to check
for the "401" cast into the side of the block before getting too
excited.  The Binder community has a quick way to distinguish the AMC
and IH engines; check the shape of the thermostat housing.  If it's
round, it's an AMC.

--Glen