[AMC-list] Two weekends worth of work

The weekend before last weekend I took the white Javelin to a car show and
won a trophy. At my son's house his friend pointed out that there was a
green puddle under the car. Leaky radiator. I drove the car home with a
gallon of water to back me up in case of trouble. No problems aon the way
home. But of course I couldn't trust that radiator any more.
I pulled everything apart and found another radiator. I put white vinegar in
the other radiator and let it sit overnight and in the sun during the day as
much as I could. That vinegar took all the crud and mineral build up out of
the radiator.
I swapped in the radiator last weekend. I used some tri-sodium-phosphate and
water for the initial flush of the system. I rinsed the thing out three
times and got a lot of crud to come out. I removed the two drain plugs in
the side of the block too. I then used a radiator flush product and went
through the whole cycle again. That time the flush came out very clean so I
thought my troubles were over, and I filled it with fresh anti-freeze. Nope,
the replacement radiator sprung a leak.
The radiator began to leak at the tappings for the automatic transmission
cooler. I wiped it dry and watched as the green stuff escaped from the
solder joint at the tapping. So I tore it down again, cleaned up the solder
joint and scraped the crud off it. I used some liquid flux and solid core
50/50 solder to redo the joint. Put it all back together. Bought a new Stant
13 lb radiator cap. Filled it with green stuff, water and pump lube
anti-corrosion stuff and away I went. The radiator was fine but then the
distributor decided to drop a cylinder because of the crappy cap. I decided
I'd had enough of that distributor and pulled it out. After an afternoons
work I have the new MSD pro billet ready to run distributor in with new MSD
wires and Jegs dividers. I installed a blaster coil and turned the key. It
started right away and didn't run too bad. I adjusted the timing a bit and
it ran great. I took it out for a drive to see how it ran. I couldn't get it
to detonate for love nor money. It used to detonate years ago if I wasn't
careful to not lug it. I shifted it into third at about 1500 rpm and put the
throttle all the way down. It lugged just fine, no shuddering, stumbling or
anything, just a steady pull.
I think I finally got a diamond for a the day and the white Javelin is
runnig pretty darn good for 39-1/2 years old. Built December 69. I pulled
three plugs out on the drivers side and all three looked like it is burning
very good. I'm pretty happy about the whole day and now I think I'm gonna
sleep like a baby.

Take care all,

Armand