[AMC-list] sealant

Anybody find a seam sealant that would stick to plated taillight housing?  On the 71 Javelin there are three sections that are clamped together.  The factory used some kind of plumbers putty and cloth tape to seal out water.  Of course that dries out and you get trunk leaks.  I've played around with various tapes and silicones, but nothing really sticks to it except for some asphalt based material that is used in roofing.  I'm looking to duplicate the original look, too.

Steve