Re: [AMC-list] Car is running, turn key off, take out of ignition - sti

Re: [AMC-list] Car is running, turn key off, take out of ignition - still running

I tested the "switched" wire. The yellow lead coming in to the
positive side of the coil. I connected the battery up. I put a tester
on the positive and negative side of the coil, the yellow wire coming
in to the positive side and the prongs on the ballast resistor for
good luck (I can see a bit of the prongs even when the wires are
connected). With the key OFF and out of the ignition and battery
connected, no light.

I then put the key in and turned it to accessory. Got light from the
tester on the positive and negative sides of the coil, and from both
prongs on the ballast resistor. I started the car and checked again.
Same light, same places.

I then turned the ignition key off and took the keys out of the
ignition. The car continued  running. I got lights on both the
positive and negative terminals on the coil, and on the prongs on the
ballast resistor.

I then stalled the car out, with the keys out of the ignition. This
time I got NO light on the positive and negative sides of the coil,
nor did I get light at the ballast resistor. I made no other changes
other than stalling the engine.

Finally, I tested with the keys in the ignition, but in the off
position. No lights.

I think I will start by disconnecting all leads (one by one) and
cleaning them. Then reconnect. I'll see if that makes a difference.