Re: [AMC-list] Car is running, turn key off, take out of ignition - sti

Re: [AMC-list] Car is running, turn key off, take out of ignition - still running

Well, I followed instructions on the box.

I've got the NAPA resistor on the driver's side fender. At first I
wired it up like my previous Pertronix. Just wired it directly to the
coil, positive to positive, negative to negative. That worked last
time (until I pulled a wire too far and shorted it). Running into
issues this time.

I looked at your pictures (thanks! they are very clear), read the
installation instructions and your instructions. I kept the black wire
between the negative terminal on the coil and the ignitor in place. I
kept the original wire to the positive terminal on the coil in place.
I disconnected the red wire for the Ignitor from the coil, and made a
lead to connect the red wire directly to the ballast resistor.

It started up nice and easy, no issues at all. I turned the key in the
ignition to OFF, and it kept running. I pulled the keys out and it
kept running. I put my hand over the snorkel on the air cleaner to
stall it out.

That was the box instructions. Tom - I'll compare that to yours, and
try yours next. Then I'll also check how Bill's '65 American is wired
up and try that as well. I might have hosed something else up (would a
hosed solenoid allow me to start the car but not allow me to turn it
off?, would a messed up ignition switch allow me to turn the car on,
but not off?)

Anyway, wires and connectors are cheap. I'll go through the box
instructions, the Tom instructions and the Bill instructions first.