Re: [AMC-list] The big tow of shame

Sounds like my Spirit. Crud from the tank made it through the 3 filters, condensed in the line before the carb and then jammed the needle open!

From: Bruce Griffis
Subject: [AMC-list] The big tow of shame
To: "AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family"

Well, I was doing fine driving to the gas station and off to the
grocery store, book store and pharmacy. No problems with little trips.
Got the parking brake fixed so I could do without the stick. On Friday
I decided to take a longer trip. Probably 10 miles or so, most of it
45MPH. My son does an online virtual school, but since it is part of
the public school system - we still have to do annual testing. Made
the trip in my wife's Highlander all this week, but decided to take
the Rambler on Friday.

So - what were the wrong parts of this decision?
I haven't driven the car that far in one trip since last April.
It ran fine for shorter trips, but you never know.
My son needs spinal fusion, and I took him out in a car without
shoulder-lap belts or headrests. He would be in really bad shape in an
accident.
My son can't stand for more than a few minutes, and can't walk more
than the length of the driveway without help.

So, we made it to Chick-FilA and had lunch. Then we made it UP the
hill to the conference center for testing. As we pulled into the
parking lot and got ready to park the car, it just stopped. It didn't
overheat. It wasn't smoking. It would start up, but die when I hit the
gas (like, to move it).

I pulled the plugs. They were dry, but black. Not tarry, not sticky
goo, just very black. Running rich. So, next mistake was driving the
car without tuning it after putting it back together. Rather than risk
driving my son home in it, and limping along - I called my middle son
to take my youngest home - then called a flatbed to bring the Rambler
home.

Today is yard work. Hopefully tomorrow I can work on the Rambler. I'm
wondering if the missing fuel baffle would have helped - because the
car just had issues after I went up a hill. It did fine at a steady
45-50. I know it's getting fuel (and a lot of it!). It was getting a
spark, I need to make sure nothing came loose. I think I'm going to
call one of my son's co-workers and just ask for help. I decided to go
too far, too soon.

But I don't think I'll bring my youngest son in the Rambler until
after I have it running reliably, and take care of some safety issues.
He loves that bench seat and those vent windows, though!