Re: [Amc-list] Hornet gets Duraspark upgrade, wagon buzzes nicely now!

Re: [Amc-list] Hornet gets Duraspark upgrade, wagon buzzes nicely now!

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 6:18 AM, Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> what makes this confusing is that this is duraspark -II-.  the briefly
> used duraspark -I- ['76? '75?] did -not- have an external coil
> resistance.  the modules are very similar; i can't tell if they're
> actually the same or not.

Same Wells aftermarket part number for both. Now that itself doesn't mean
Motorcraft made 'em the same, but I can tell you for fact that whatever it
is you get when you buy one, works fine with the Ford truck TFI coil and
chrysler 1.2 ohm resistor. Been in my Hornet for 3? 4? years. The classic
has a MSD Blaster II coil with resistor.

There is no DESIGN difference in Duraspark I and II. At best, II had a
heftier transistor to drive the coil, but semiconductor technology has
improved so much since the 1970's that I wouldn't (and haven't) given it a
second thought.

Compare to the Pertronix -- the entire contents of the duraspark box AND
distributor is contained in about two teaspoons of epoxy. No connectors to
go intermittent, no wires to fray and pinch. And it doesn't even get warm in
there. The Duraspark is better than points, but it's pretty old fashioned
technology.

The HEI module is basically a duraspark box capable of driving a BIG coil.
It's sort of "80's" tech where the duraspark is "70's".

--
All your arguments are invalid.
Enjoy your unstable system.