Re: [Amc-list] Hornet gets Duraspark upgrade, wagon buzzes nicely now!

Re: [Amc-list] Hornet gets Duraspark upgrade, wagon buzzes nicely now!

" From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 6:18 AM, Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
" >
" >
" > what makes this confusing is that this is duraspark -II-.  the briefly
" > used duraspark -I- ['76? '75?] did -not- have an external coil
" > resistance.  the modules are very similar; i can't tell if they're
" > actually the same or not.
"
"
" []
"
" There is no DESIGN difference in Duraspark I and II. At best, II had a
" heftier transistor to drive the coil, but semiconductor technology has
" improved so much since the 1970's that I wouldn't (and haven't) given it a
" second thought.

interesting.  i don't know about the tfi coil, but the ds1 coil had
lower primary resistance than the early ds2 coil.  there are other
variables like dwell though.

" []
"
" The HEI module is basically a duraspark box capable of driving a BIG coil.
" It's sort of "80's" tech where the duraspark is "70's".

except that hei came out in '75 and carried through the '80s
essentially unchanged...

" From: Jesse <j2sax@xxxxxxxxx>
"
"
" []
"
" So, will the extra 258 HEI I have drop into the 67 232 (with the
" starter on the drvr side)?  I just want to get it running a little
" better so I can take some trips this Summer... maybe even do Cordova!

i can tell you for a fact my '68 199 is running one.  it could stand
to be recurved, but it's run flawlessly otherwise, even before i
bypassed the resistance wire.