66 was the first year for standardized VIN's so they are all going to be somewhat similar looking. FWIW, 66 to 80 AMC VIN's all start with an A. 66 and older serial numbers are only 7 digits.

Also, this Ford looks to be from before VIN's were required in 1966. VIN's were 13 digits from 66-80 and the code below is only 11.

Matt

On 7/25/2009 9:58 AM, Joe Fulton spouted this sage advice:
Thanks, Scott.

Well, it was late last night when I saw that listing and it looked very similar to a 1966 AMC VIN.  I guess those people can tell a Ford when they see one.

Joe Fulton

My apologies. I guess those young folks
--- On Sat, 7/25/09, Scott Selleh <vnm.venom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Scott Selleh <vnm.venom@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] No Respect
To: "AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, July 25, 2009, 2:29 AM
i ran the listed VIN through
DecodeThis...

6 - Year - 1966
K - Assembly - Kansas City, KS
48 - Body - Fairlane 4-Door Custom Ranch Wagon
C - Engine - 8 Cyl. 289 CID Horsepower:200 Carbs: 1-2BBL
Compression:9.3:1
190400 - Serial - 190400

http://www.decodethis.com/VINDecoded/tabid/53/Default.aspx?vin=6K48C190400

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 12:41 AM, Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

The vehicle buy back sale list for the LA area this
weekend lists a 66 AMC
wagon, but they list it as a Ford.  I guess the
majority of young adults
don't know of the existence of AMC, but why would you
call it a Ford?
Here's the listing:   (BTW that's a
black and yellow plate number too.)
Year Make Model