Re: [AMC-list] Cars, Clunkers and

Twisties are fun and that may be why you're not seeing the mileage you expect. Spirited driving (does that count as an AMC tie-in?) doesn't generally result in best fuel economy.

Anyway, I have a set of Kelly tires on my 67 that are filled with Nitrogen. They leak down 4-5 PSI every year. I'm sure if I drove it more, they'd leak more.

Stiff tires and soft suspension is the way a lot of cars are tuned now. The idea is you get the somewhat better handling from stiffer tires and the softer suspension soaks up more of the harshness. Like anything else, there are trade-offs but this seem to be a pretty good compromise. Since Casper has coils all around, you should be able to play with shock and spring rates if you want to get it dialed in.

Matt

On 7/25/2009 2:44 AM, das24rules@xxxxxxxxx spouted this sage advice:
i dont know what the "correct" one to follow for tire pressures, but i always
go with the sidewall. the car came with 1 brand, size, and model of tire. i
do not have stock tires on it. so the sticker on the door for the original
tires is incorrect. i now have higher performance tires on all my cars, as i
live way out of town, and have lots of twisties. who dont like to take
twisties with a little speed? maybe once in a while i might get "excessive" but only in my little peon that likes corners. so ya, i run what my tires say at 40 psi. just put brand new ones on my rambler, and drove it 200 miles, and it has been broken. havent even looked to see what its pressures are now. o,
and by the way, tires and casper... my rear tires are some michilen run
flats. and WOW talk about a stiff sidewall. but it rides much better i think
with the mushy shocks and soft springs. dave stohler
www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com