[AMC-list] 58 American - rust in gas lines?

[AMC-list] 58 American - rust in gas lines?

Hello All,

On my 58 American 2 door sedan, I had rust from somewhere in the fuel
system mess up the mechanical fuel pump.  Ok, I thought, I pulled the gas
tank, had it boiled out, any holes welded, pickup tube cut out, blasted
and brazed back in.  I then sealed the tank with Hirsch's alcohol
resistant gas tank sealer.  I also installed an electric fuel pump.

I still have rust from somewhere getting into the fuel filter and clogging
it up enough that the American stops running.  I replace the filter and it
goes for another 15-30 miles before it does it again.

The lines from the tank to the front look like they are aluminum, but
apparently they are not, or the fuel goes through some steel somewhere
where it picks up rust.

Would it be ok to run a piece of fuel hose directly from the tank all the
way to the front to the electrical fuel pump?  I would secure the fuel
hose along the way.

Any comments and or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

Mark

--
Mark Dominesey