Re: [AMC-list] cash for clunkers

Dan,

You make a good point about the state of the hobby.  As an automotive journalist I realize you need to be concerned about future of the hobby.

I was not concerned about the cash for clunkers law because I don't have a personal interest in the 84-later cars as collector cars...even AMC Eagles.  I fixed up a 95 Cutlass last year that I bought from a neighbor and sold it in a few months.  I bought it to fix and sell. I learned a little more about fuel injection and leaky GM intake manifold gaskets and how difficult a sideways mounted V6 is to work on but I didn't make any money on it.  I don't think a 95 Cutlass (orphan make or not) will ever be a collector car unless it is a garage queen saved from high mileage by some quirk of fate.  And in that case I can't see it ever being turned in for a rebate on a new car.

Besides, isn't the government footing the bill for these rebates?  The legislators (and hopefully the American populace) will tire of throwing money in this pot....money we don't have.

Joe Fulton