Re: [AMC-list] T176

Unless you're doing lots of heavy hauling with the truck the 176 will be fine behind a stock to mild 360. I wouldn't build a 304 because pistons are hard to find and it will cost the same to build as the 360. I bet the main problem with your J-10 is that same as mine -- geared to high. Mine has 2.73 gears. I run 215/75R15 tires so it will have a little pull. Tires much bigger in diameter (those are 27.7") will kill pulling power. I bet you have bigger ones to look better. I'd like to have a set of 3.31 gears, but have a 75 J-10 with 3.54s. They will be a lot better, but will have to run a 30-31" tire or it will rev to high on the highway. A 29" tire with 3.31 gears would be better, 3.08s would be fine with the tires I have on now. Mine has over 100K on it also. Will eventually build a 4.0L block for it. "Z" in the engine day build code was either a 343/4V or 401/4V. The block casting number is indeed a 304.
--------
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 12:49:09 -0600
From: Ken Ames <ameskg@xxxxxxxxx>

I picked up a 304/176/300 combo from a CJ and was wondering about a V8
conversion in my 85 J10 currently with 258 and 176. I also have a spare 360 and
so am debating which V8 would be the better choice. Poor old truck now has
trouble with 10mph headwinds and too many hills call for 3rd gear. Seems to
spend a lot of time at almost full throttle just trying to keep up with the
traffic and evidence shows blowby with too much oil in the aircleaner.
304 has a 'Z' in the valve cover tag (104Z16) - is this a 401 tag or did AMC use
the 'Z' on later 304 tags? I was expecting an 'H'. Block casting 3195527 - carb
tag 0DM2J - B 9K 8 so I suspect it is a 1980 or 1981 setup.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts