Re: [AMC-list] cash for clunkers

True, it could have been worse. And again, we can thank SEMA for
fighting on our behalf.

But yet another gripe of mine against this program is that passing it
sets a precedent. Yes, it's temporary, yes, it's limited in scope, but
there's already talk of expanding it. If it fails to meet its goals, the
argument goes, then its scope should be broadened. If it meets its
goals, then it should be extended to sell more new cars.

Don't think they'll do that? Germany's cash for clunkers program was
wildly successful, so they extended it, dumped more money into it. And
Germany's program had no 25-year provision. Nor a mileage provision.
Instead, it made any vehicle more than nine years old eligible for the
premium. And we've already heard that Minis (the original Austins, not
the new BMWs) have been severely reduced in numbers in Germany due to
that program.

Also, while we hail the 25-year exemption, there are already people who
want to repeal it:

http://www.southtownstar.com/business/1651203,070509ClunkerCol4Web.artic
le

When you start dangling easy money in front of people's noses, notions
of collectibility or saving things for posterity go out the window.

As for minivans and SUVs, there's oftentimes crap I don't want to see at
cruise-ins, but you know what? That's what makes this hobby great: That
so many people out there can appreciate such a wide variety of vehicles.
BTW, how many times has somebody said that they don't want to see your
Ramblers at a show among their Fords and Chevrolets?

dan