Re: [AMC-list] MOTOR WENT BYE BYE!!!! NNNNOOOO!!!

Re: [AMC-list] MOTOR WENT BYE BYE!!!! NNNNOOOO!!!

Dave, the piston failed on a 196 L-head of a guy who bought a block from me to rebuild. He asked me about driving the car from Atlanta to Philly, and I told him honestly that if it was running good now there's no reason to believe it wouldn't make a one-way trip if he took it easy. Made it under 200 miles! A piston came apart. I don't know if it just cracked, broke the top ring lands, or what yet. They found that the valve seats were cracked too, so it had been run quite hot at some point. He's having it rebuilt at a shop near where it broke down. Was planning on doing more of the work himself, but more cost effective to have it built and drive it up than tow it. Might cost a little more, but no money wasted on the tow! He told me it had been making a ticking sound that he'd assumed was just a couple loose lifters (solid lifters that are hard to get to on the L-head). Guess he knows now that wasn't the problem! I hate I told him it should be okay, but he never even mentioned the tick until after it blew a piston. The shop would have suggested sleeving the block if it hadn't been for the cracked exhaust valve seats. I think it was run hot before and a piston cracked, finally gave way. Will talk to him later and find out!

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts