Re: [AMC-list] How much HP to drive an oil pump ???

Re: [AMC-list] How much HP to drive an oil pump ???

I think the dry sump systems are worth more because they eliminate the excess oil in the pan which creates drag on the crank.  That's why a windage tray should be used between the oil pan and crank.  One nice thing about a dry sump system is the oil pressure can be pumped up prior to starting the engine, hence no oil starvation.  That is a great question tho, one I've never thought about.

Dan Whitehead

Hey Dean,
I honestly don't know the answer and have not heard it discussed before.? On race engines, I think that a belt-driven dry sump system can be worth 50+ HP over a wet-sump system.?
?
Perhaps one of the AMC racers over on the AMC-List know the REAL answer to your question.? I'll CC this email over there.