Re: [AMC-list] How much HP to drive an oil pump ???

Re: [AMC-list] How much HP to drive an oil pump ???

Dry sump systems scavenge the oil out of the crankcase and put it into a
storage tank. Most external oil pumps have several stages of pressure and
scavenging.The external pump probably uses the same amount of power to drive
as a standard type pump. The big advantage is the oil isn't in contact with
the crankshaft and rods and being whipped into froth by them, which consumes
power. The oil is removed from that area by the scavenge stages of the pump
before that can happen.

The oil pressure can be pumped up before you fire the engine in only the
same ways as a standard pump. Either the engine has to be turned over by the
starter before the ignition circuit is switched on or the drive system has
to be disconnected and a remote drive utilized to operate the pump (like a
drill motor and shaft to the standard pump). I think what Dan is referring
to prevent oil starvation is called an Accusump. This device stores the oil
under pressure and then can be released into the oiling system right at
startup or even when under hard cornering or when the oil pickup becomes
uncovered and possible oil starvation (wet sump systems only, dry sumps do
not normally suffer from this problem). An external pump (dry sump) cannot
do this on it's own.
Common accepted horsepower increases from wet sump to dry sump systems are
about 15.
The Formula Ford race car I owned was equipped with a dry sump system that
was driven off a belt from the crankshaft pulley. The only way to "pre" oil
the engine was to turn the engine over with the starter until pressure built
up and then kick on the ignition switch.
Hope this helps answer some questions,
Armand