Re: [AMC-list] overdrive issues

I was gonna post this but never got a round tuit but will now since Dave
posted on his T96...

Friday I had a hell drive, 4 hours of almost worst-case Los Angeles friday
home commute traffic. Hous of stop and go, not that hot but tough driving.
Accidents, idiots, freeways and I had to cross town on surface streets at
4pm - 5pm. Disaster.

THe little American did very very well. Even a year ago it would hav ebeen a
daunting drive, but the car did  really great. But the transmission is the
weakest link in the car by any measure.

Stop and go in six lanes surrounding an accident and the impatient idiots
trying to rush in spite of it means popping into first while rolling, tricky
at best. The touch-2nd-gear-synchro trick is better than double-clutching,
faster, but MAN! this transmission is SLOW!!!

The motor has enough torque. Just enough, but it's not the problem. A half
second or more per shift is the problem. It requires a lot of care to shift
"quickly" and towards the end I was grinding in 3rd (too fast).

There has GOT to be another trans that fits in this hole. The T14 does, but
I've never heard of anyone who's seen the alleged OD version, and Ive never
found one.

I have to buy that Pony adapter and just make a go of it. A 4 or 5 speed in
this thing would probably knock two seconds off the quarter mile, I'm
serious. It's that slow to shift.

I doubt I'll hack at this twin stick car, it's too cool as it is. But that
'61 sitting there, no way Id' run that with the automatic with that motor,
what a waste. A ncie candidate for a new transmission transplant. Not this
summer though!