Re: [AMC-list] overdrive issues

I did a rebuild of my T96+OD. It took a bunch of hours but was more or less
straightforward. It wasn't cheap though!!!

I wonder if it's bearings though, if it makes a different sound feathered
throttle vs. accellerate vs. decellerate. That sounds like gear tooth face
or shaft loading or something. It could be something really simple though,
like a lever, spring, etc touching an internal part.

It could even be a really badly adjusted cable or shifter. Is the OD cable
travel correct? Does it shift OK?

Drive it around and get it warm and drain the juice. Metal in the oil? That
would eat the bearings (or be eaten bearings :-)

I rebuilt one, took one for parts, and peeked into another, that's the
extent of my experience with them. The whole trans is well made and strong
except 1st and 2nd gears and their synchros and dogs get eaten up.
Everything else looked fine, though the bronze faced thrust washers were
worn and one set was pitted (wrong lube likely). Replace those. The cluster
gear was $100. nwparts.com has that stuff, or did.

--
All of your arguments are invalid.
Enjoy your unstable system.