Re: [Amc-list] Trunnions for Tom Jennings

The thrust bearing is the real killer! The spring support simply screws off the top of the trunnion. Do that, then remove the nut and push the upper arms up and the trunnion will slide right off. After that just screw the end caps off the trunnion and take the bolt out right behind the trunnion that holds the two arms together. Then you can move one arm up, the other down, and get the trunnion out without removing the arms. Reassemble in reverse order. The thrust bearing slides right off the steering knuckle once it's out of the trunnion.

--------
From: Wayne E Lamothe <superglider@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Trunnions for Tom Jennings

 Just ordered a new trunnion and thrust bearing from Blaser.  OUCH!!!
The factory manual does not say squat about the trunnions or pulling the
steering knuckle out.  How do I remove the lower spring support (the tube
above the trunnion) so I can get to the nut on top of the steering
knuckle to remove the trunnion?

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"