Re: [Amc-list] Trunnions for Tom Jennings

Re: [Amc-list] Trunnions for Tom Jennings

It would be a really bad idea to not change all three arm bushings now --
it's not something you want to do later! And you have to take all that crap
off to do it!

They're still available. It takes a press or a big-jawed vise, a bunch of
sockets as spacers, and/or pieces of pipe (with ends cut square) or pipe
couplers from the plumbing store.

They are almost certainly worn out.

You can do the lower arm bushing, and the balljoint, later if you want since
you can do that with the spring and trunnion in the car and defer spending
the cash. But don't cheap out on two $20 bushings that are probably trash
now, keep the car from being aligned, make noise, ...

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The thrust bearing is the real killer! The spring support simply screws off
> the top of the trunnion. Do that, then remove the nut and push the upper
> arms up and the trunnion will slide right off. After that just screw the end
> caps off the trunnion and take the bolt out right behind the trunnion that
> holds the two arms together. Then you can move one arm up, the other down,
> and get the trunnion out without removing the arms. Reassemble in reverse
> order. The thrust bearing slides right off the steering knuckle once it's
> out of the trunnion.
>
> --------
> From: Wayne E Lamothe <superglider@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Trunnions for Tom Jennings
>
>  Just ordered a new trunnion and thrust bearing from Blaser.  OUCH!!!
> The factory manual does not say squat about the trunnions or pulling the
> steering knuckle out.  How do I remove the lower spring support (the tube
> above the trunnion) so I can get to the nut on top of the steering
> knuckle to remove the trunnion?
>
> --
> Frank Swygert
> Publisher, "American Motors Cars"