Re: [Amc-list] AMC-List 76 Hornet distributor, Duraspark Fords, etc....

Re: [Amc-list] AMC-List 76 Hornet distributor, Duraspark Fords, etc....

cc'ing the list cuz it looks more broadly applicable... I hope you don't mind...

> ======== Ok, but how about the distributor? Does it just "drop in", or do I
> have to change the gear on it, shim it, etc. ?

Any AMC six distributor drops in -- you do NOT use the Ford
distributor... for the AMC six there were only these choices up til
the 4.0... that change-gear business is to adapt a Chevrolet distrib
to an AMC engine. Bu

* points distributor 1964-early 70's (small cap, the one you know and love)
* prest-no-lite distributor, early 70's
* duraspark mid-70's on

They all fit in the hole and clamp and are mechanically
interchangable. I just don't know anything about AMC engines after 83
or so, others here do.

> -========= What distributor would I need for the Pertronix,

Any 232/258 AMC six POINTS distributor. No one want's em! But if you
have to go seek out a distributor, box and all that, might as well go
Duraspark. (I originally thought yu had a points distrib, that's wy I
suggested the Pertronix.)

> =======  So get the Duraspark distributor coil, or are you talking about
> another type?

The EASIEST thing to do for you I think is to get an AMC six Duraspark
distributor (AMC only),  a duraspark box (Ford or AMC, same part), and
the connectors from a Ford or AMC donor junkyard car. AND use whatever
coil is in there now. The Duraspark system will drive any reasonable
coil, including dead stock all years. If your coil now has a resistor,
continue to use it.

> ===== Another reason I want to convert the old Prestolite to Presto! GONE.

GOOD IDEA!

>  One question on timing - some cars base the timing on ported vacuum, others
> on direct - looks like this '76 Hornet went ported. Do the Duraspark engines
> base it on Ported, too, or would I need to go back to full engine vac?

The distributor doesn't care; engine tune does. Ported spark reduces
emissions at idle, slightly. It can, for some setups, cause the engine
to run hot at low speeds (late timing so all the fuel_air energy goes
out the exhaust). If it's not doing anything bad now, just leave it.

In either case, you should pull the vacuum hose off and plug it, THEN
set static ignition timing.

Another good thing about the later Duraspark distributors is more
aggressive mechanical advance. 1979 vs. 1970, for example, has a lot
more ignition lead. Increases power, at the slight disadvantage that
you need to set timing a little more carefully as it's more ping
sensitive. That's a 50s, 60s mentality (easy, lazy) vs. emissions and
mileage and such.