[Amc-list] Anyone want a tank of bad gas? Free? Bring syphon! (found out

[Amc-list] Anyone want a tank of bad gas? Free? Bring syphon! (found out why I'm pretzeling pushrods)

I got off my lazy hind end today, popped the head off (again) and
brought it back to the machine shop. Wandered back home to get back to
work, and received a call to come on over and check it out! The valves
had a LOT of buildup. They were sticky. Had some hardened mess on
them. The car had very few miles on it since the head rebuild, this is
not old crusty sitting around crud.

They owner popped the valves out and showed me the buildup. Emeryed it
off the sticking valve - and TADA - no more sticking. They're hitting
the rest, then will bore the holes back out to spec and putting it
back together. The machine shop owner stated it was something in the
fuel. Got a fuel quality problem.

I'm thinking I know exactly what the deal is. When we had the fuel
shortage here, I drove up to a cheapy station and filled it up. Then I
popped in some of the Marvel goo for good luck. Then my car wouldn't
drive over 30 miles an hour on the way home and I parked it and went
to the Southeast regionals in my Yota to be a spectator. Or some kind
of 'tater anyway.

I figured it was a blown head gasket, so redid that. Pretzeled another
pushrod. And parked it, and left it.

So, I should have the head back tomorrow. I will stay the heck away
from additives! I will stay far far away from cheapy gas stations. The
machine shop owner said to burn premium for a while, then go back to
regular. I'll do exactly that. In the meantime, anyone want a tank
full of gas? Guaranteed to cause sticky valves!

As a side issue: if I want to lose the water tube under my intake
plate - do I just unscrew it and cap the plate? Anyone have a 195.6
OHV intake plate for a one barrel carb and NO water line they'd
consider selling? (just in case I'm leaking coolant down the intake as
well)