Re: [Amc-list] Attn Hornet Sportabout owners, advice on rust issues, w

Re: [Amc-list] Attn Hornet Sportabout owners, advice on rust issues, woodgrain, battery drain wanted...

At 11:31 AM 3/7/2009, Jerry Casper <gremlingts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Well, it became "official" Thursday when I got the title changed over
>on Thursday, registered it  and some temp tags. I ordered VA
>speciality plates,  AMC
>BZNU, for it. First time in awhile I'll have had personalized tags for
>something worth it. LOL!
>    The wagon has 69k on it, fairly solid, some door rust due to the
>woodgrain applique, but that junk is comin' OFF of there! Eventually.
>Anyway, planning on driving it home on Sunday, and then the fun begins.
>It has a battery drain that kills the battery after a few days of
>none-running. Driver's door door paddle spring is broken, so it's
>"scooter" entry only from the passenger side. A/C and radio both work,
>a huge plus. And 4 brand new donuts to eat up the road with. So, for
>$300, not a bad buy! 6-cylinder 258, of course. Wish it had been a V-8!
>Oh well. Can't have it all.
>
>  Several questions on the woodgrain - how easy is it to get off, is
> there actual paint underneath, and what should I do to remove it? I
> think I remember there being some sort of solvent that you spray on
> it to remove it. If anyone has gone thru the procedure, I'd like to
> hear about it.

There is paint beneath the woodgrain.  Any chemical remover is going
to have to work in conjunction with peeling the Di-Noc film off.  I
think that heat should help and would try using a heat gun to warm
the film and adhesive to help remove it.  Then I'd follow up with Goo
Gone or similar to remove the remaining adhesive.

I'm going to have to do this on my '80 Pacer wagon soon, but will
probably install fresh Di-Noc.

>  The car has an electrical drain that kills the battery after a few
> days, so I was told, long as you drive it,it's staying charged up.
> So I'll have to start looking for that. I'm thinking either
> overhead light / door switches shorted, clock, glovebox light, etc.
> Glove box doesn't open, latch spins, so I'll check that out, and
> other issues. Any suggestions as to possible items to look at for
> battery drainage is welcome as well.

For this sort of problem, I'd hook an ammeter between the positive
battery post and the positive battery cable to see what the draw is
when the car is just sitting.  (Key off, doors closed, hood down if
equipped with underhood lighting.)  Then, armed with the wiring
diagram, start pulling fuses to see what causes the ammeter to go to
zero.  Once you have isolated the correct circuit, you can track down
the problem, since you will know what items are powered by that fuse.

Some circuits don't go through the fuse block and you will have to
use other means to track them down, but this is where the wiring
diagram comes in.  Just determine what items are powered elsewhere
(headlamps, horn, etc.) and find a convenient place to disconnect
them.  Don't forget that the alternator is also connected to the
battery and a shorted diode might cause this problem.  Disconnect the
charging wire at the back of the alternator to see if the drain goes
away.  Alternators are three phase generators and will still charge
somewhat even with one blown or shorted diode.

Note that a mechanical clock will cause an intermittent current spike
when the mainspring winds down and the solenoid in the clock winds it
back up, corresponding to the "click" sound from the clock.  A quartz
clock will cause a very small continuous drain on the battery, but
shouldn't cause it to run down in days.