[Amc-list] Attn Hornet Sportabout owners, advice on rust issues, woodgr

[Amc-list] Attn Hornet Sportabout owners, advice on rust issues, woodgrain, battery drain wanted...

Well, it became "official" Thursday when I got the title changed over
on Thursday, registered it  and some temp tags. I ordered VA speciality plates,  AMC
BZNU, for it. First time in awhile I'll have had personalized tags for
something worth it. LOL!
   The wagon has 69k on it, fairly solid, some door rust due to the
woodgrain applique, but that junk is comin' OFF of there! Eventually.
Anyway, planning on driving it home on Sunday, and then the fun begins.
It has a battery drain that kills the battery after a few days of
none-running. Driver's door door paddle spring is broken, so it's
"scooter" entry only from the passenger side. A/C and radio both work,
a huge plus. And 4 brand new donuts to eat up the road with. So, for
$300, not a bad buy! 6-cylinder 258, of course. Wish it had been a V-8!
Oh well. Can't have it all.

 Several questions on the woodgrain - how easy is it to get off, is there actual paint underneath, and what should I do to remove it? I think I remember there being some sort of solvent that you spray on it to remove it. If anyone has gone thru the procedure, I'd like to hear about it.

 The car has an electrical drain that kills the battery after a few days, so I was told, long as you drive it,it's staying charged up. So I'll have to start looking for that. I'm thinking either overhead light / door switches shorted, clock, glovebox light, etc. Glove box doesn't open, latch spins, so I'll check that out, and other issues. Any suggestions as to possible items to look at for battery drainage is welcome as well.

  Well, all for now, any helpful hints, comments, suggestions welcome. More interested in the battery drain condition now, but the woodgrain needs to come off, so I can see the rust damage, want to start on that soon ( getting it off , that is ). Soon to be AMCing again...

Jerry Casper