Re: [Amc-list] need help and knowledge

Brian

What it sounds like to me is that you are trying to do at least two
things all at once which are both new to you: going drag racing +
building a record setting class racer.

The NHRA "Stock" class is actually a lot more modified than the
"showroom stock" it sounds like. There are all kinds of things that you
can and can't do. It's a very competitive class with a bunch of very
knowledgeable people in it that have been at it for years and have found
setting a record to be elusive at best. They know a hundred tricks that
aren't obvious to an outsider and it costs more $$$ than it at first
appears that it might. You would do well to go to a NHRA regional event
near you (a schedule is at
http://sportsman.nhra.com/2009/sp_schedule.asp) and walk the Stock pits
and talk to as many of the competitors as you can and ask them pointed
questions about how much it costs, the level of competition, etc. Not
knowing the depth of the pool before diving in is always an error.

If you want to do a little homework before going out to the track, go
here: http://www.nhra.com/competition/classification.aspx

and here: http://www.nhra.com/competition/blueprints.aspx

and buy a rulebook at http://store.nhra.com/

On the other hand, few things are as cheap or uncomplicated as getting
involved in drag racing. My suggestion is to take your car, the way it
is, to a night of test & tune. You'll certainly gain some great
experience. You'll also be able to see what kind of e.t.s your car runs
and compare them to the times of the stock division you hope to run in
someday. As you make changes to the car you'll be able to know how close
you are getting. You can also bracket race your car the way it currently
is to get used to competition. It's way easier to get involved than you
think.

Doug

the NMessage: 9