[Amc-list] AMX bumper question for experts only!

[Amc-list] AMX bumper question for experts only!

This question is primarily for Joe, Frank, Nick, or Armand, but feel free to reply if you have experience in the task below:

A '68 AMX accident-free front bumper was recently acquired from an allegedly reputable AMC source and was sent out for re-chroming--the old bumper was unusable and was trashed (trust me, it was unusable).  The newly acquired bumper was guaranteed uninvolved in an accident or bent.  The newly plated bumper came back and didn't fit the front of the vehicle by two inches (I believe it was the top of the bumper that was the issue)!  Again, the bumper seller claimed the bumper was in "excellent used condition." I was told by the bumper seller that the plating shop didn't do its duty in "blocking" the bumper before replating and checking the fitment of the bumper prior.  The bumper seller also claims that plating shops have "forms" or "molds" that bumpers can fit into and thus the plating shop can check the straightness of the bumper before replating.  The bumper seller claims that no two AMX bumpers are alike and if switching one AMX bumper to another AMX, this "blocking" procedur
 e must always be done to ensure good fitment.  The body shop claims that the bumper seller gave them a bumper that was off by two inches due to a bumper accident, although upon intial inspection before replating, the bumper appeared to be accident-free, with no apparent "witness marks.."  The body shop has never heard of "blocking" a bumper before replating and didn't test fit the new bumper prior to replating.  The plating shop is closed for the weekend.  What are the facts/fallacies of this situation? Who's to blame? Who's right?

Thanks,

Bumperless Steve