Re: [Amc-list] Jeep Cherokee Driveline in a mid to late 60's American?

Re: [Amc-list] Jeep Cherokee Driveline in a mid to late 60's American?

" From: Mike S <amc_rebel_sst@xxxxxxxxx>
"
"
" Just curious if anyone has put in an entire 2-wheel driveline, engine
" to rear end in a mid/late 60's American.  From what I've been reading,
" the 4.0 should drop in, you could probably use the tranny since it's a
" 2 wd cherokee and the rear end, from what I've been reading is 55 1/4
" inches flange to flange and the Americans is 56 1/2 flange to flange.

the 4.0 is an easy swap, at least up to '99 or so; about then they
finally deleted the old amc mounts [which jeep never used] in a block
revision.  i've seen one in a '69 american and it was so slick i
walked right past it at first - and that's after driving '66-'68
americans daily for almost 2 decades.  it went right onto the original
mounts.

there's a fellow, on the yahoo strokers list and here also iirc, who's
putting one in a '64 american, and someone else with another '69.

the american rear -track- is 55.5"; the axle is much narrower than
that between the flanges.  xj track is more like 60.5".  for a
stronger axle there's the rare american v8 amc20, '73-6 dart v8 8.25",
'88?-'91? ranger 8.8" - but the amc15 is pretty stout also; the xj
dana 35 is based on it.

on the tranny, i don't know where the shifter would end up relative to
the bench seat; that could be a problem.  tolerable but not desireable
is the trucklike gearing of the box.  you could swap it for a ~'90 +/-
turbo supra r154; it's also made by aisin warner but the days when
yards almost gave them away seem to be past.  you could use an amc
sr4/t4/t5 bell and mustang 5.0 t5.  there are other possibilities...

" I understand for the rear you'd have to change the spring
" perches/mounts because the cherokee uses coils and the americans
" use leaf.

nb. the xj uses leaves also; the grands - zj on up - and tj wrangler
have rear coils.

" I think that this would be an interesting swap if the rears would fit.

it's very interesting!