If it's a 68 or later, it's a T-14. If you have that things get interesting! I wouldn't put the 360 in front of it, but the 4.0L head and EFI or complete 4.0L swap is doable with the three speed OD trans. It would probably hold up behind a bone stock 360/2V, but only if you took it easy. The T-15 is slightly stronger and was used behind the 290, but you could get by with using that T-14 behind a 290/304 if you didn't beat on it or do any towing. If you have towing/hauling in mind, yank it all out and stick the 360/727 in there. You'll have the power and reliability to tow a car on a trailer if you want (I'd use a trailer with brakes only!). The six and T-14/OD combo would be great for economy and still have good power if you use the EFI setup. You will find a few here interested in the T-14/OD, so you should be able to recoup $100-$200 to put into the V-8 swap.

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:08:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Jesse <j2sax@xxxxxxxxx>

OK, so one of my buds has been hammering me about putting a V8 and Auto in the Wagon... I pretty much blew him off thinking I really wanted to do a 4.o build or a 4.0 head on 258,?
?
After selling an engine and some axles, I got to thinking... wait a minute... I have a good running 360 /727 combo from a 72 Ambassador 4 door.? Performer Intake and Carb already on it and running.? I have a Pertronix to replace teh points.? I have the V8 crossmember and I believe the Ambo driveshaft is even the right length.? This would a be a weekend deal to swap it out rather than a couple of months putting together parts and money for the other swap.? Even have a set of headers that were never installed!?
?
This is a no brainer right??
?
So I went down to where I drove the wagon to comtemplate and I found one of those "overdrive" handles laying in the seat... overdrive?? I have heard some of you guys talking about the 3 spd with od, but never had one.? Couldn't get under it to check it out... is it some sort of unit on the rear of the 3 spd??
?
Is the O/D setup worth keeping enough to offset the V8 ease?? I liked the idea of having the manual in a Wagon, but having this V8 sitting around...hmmmmm
?
Your experienced opinions are appreciated!
?
Have a great weekend,
?
Jesse