Re: [Amc-list] V8 in 6 cyl Rebel Wagon= issues? Is my 3 spd an overdrive

Re: [Amc-list] V8 in 6 cyl Rebel Wagon= issues? Is my 3 spd an overdrive?

Unless you want a stocker, I'd recomend you proceed to do the swap to whatever your heart truly desires!
Teh O/D unit is plenty stout to hold up to most anything as it was used on most anything!
The trans is not, unless it has been changed over I don't think it will come anywhere near holding up to a 4.0L or 360!

   I'd remove it and sell it to someone who needs it and move on!

Unless that year wagon got a heavier trans than I think it did it won't survive and was a "what were they thinkng" trans by the time they got to the newer 199-232 engines!

   To verify it is actually still in place you will need to look for the pull handle under the dash above the gas pedal.
Then to be really sure you need to look at the rear of the trans. The unit will be hanging there if it is still in place.

   Don't rash it, someone will want it!
   Honestly, if I had the stuff you have, I'd put the 360 in the wagon and not look back, cept maybe to see if the police are comign after you thru the tire smoke!!!

   Last I believe you may want to change the rear axle if that is an Overdrive car. Someone will correct me if I'm worng but, I believe the OD cars got 3:54 ish read gears, unless you go to say a nice tall 275/60/15 or taller you will not be very highway friendly!  I would consider trying to correct those gears higher with tires! Should be able to find somethign tall enough that will fit in those wheelwells. Then if you do want to 1/4 miles it once and a while a nice set of drag radials or slicks in a shorter sidewall will bring that gear back!

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: Jesse <j2sax@xxxxxxxxx>