Re: [Amc-list] V8 in 6 cyl Rebel Wagon= issues? Is my 3 spd an overdrive

Re: [Amc-list] V8 in 6 cyl Rebel Wagon= issues? Is my 3 spd an overdrive?

Mark's talking about the T-96, and "what were they thinking" is a good way to describe it in the 67 Rebel!! What's even funnier is that the 232 powered 67 Rebel got the AMC 20 rear axle, even with a T-96 between the 232 and axle!! The OD did get the 3.54 axle in 67 and later, regardless of what engine was used (just checked the 67 and 68 TSMs).

----------
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 22:44:21 +0000
From: wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx

   I'd remove it and sell it to someone who needs it and move on!

Unless that year wagon got a heavier trans than I think it did it won't survive and was a "what were they thinkng" trans by the time they got to the newer 199-232 engines!

   To verify it is actually still in place you will need to look for the pull handle under the dash above the gas pedal.
Then to be really sure you need to look at the rear of the trans. The unit will be hanging there if it is still in place.

   Don't rash it, someone will want it!
   Honestly, if I had the stuff you have, I'd put the 360 in the wagon and not look back, cept maybe to see if the police are comign after you thru the tire smoke!!!

   Last I believe you may want to change the rear axle if that is an Overdrive car. Someone will correct me if I'm worng but, I believe the OD cars got 3:54 ish read gears, unless you go to say a nice tall 275/60/15 or taller you will not be very highway friendly!  I would consider trying to correct those gears higher with tires! Should be able to find somethign tall enough that will fit in those wheelwells. Then if you do want to 1/4 miles it once and a while a nice set of drag radials or slicks in a shorter sidewall will bring that gear back!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"