Re: [Amc-list] Seems like I remember the horn contacts are slightly diff

Re: [Amc-list] Seems like I remember the horn contacts are slightly different

Andrew, You can make a start towards a little more road feel easy.
Go get a P/S valve out of a Wrangler 91-95 for sure maybe others too.
The pressure is down around 800 + -  compared to 1000-1100 ish on the XJ.
I run the Wrangler valve in my American and am quite happy with it.
It takes a whole 10-15 minutes to swap out and since it sits on top of the front of the pump on the XJ's and Wranglers you don't lose much fluid doing the swap either.

You can get similar lower assist valves out of Mustang GTs in the 80's etc.
Most all of them use the same pump body and valve IIRC.

Purists will scream you are not increasing road feel because you don't change the valving etc, in the box, but it does help!  You will have a hard time finding a manual box for an XJ. Most common was early 4cyl MJ's as work trucks.
  Be warned they are like Americans, many, many turns lock to lock and since they are designed for trucks they have crap road feel too!

  My American is quitel nice actually, I have the 91 Wrangler valve swapped into a New XJ P/S pump feeding a 73 Hornet variable ratio P/S box. Works real nice.  I had the "gotta have a 12-1 box bug" till I drove this a while! It is a very nice driving feeling car with the current setup. I have no plans to change it.  I had even gone so far as to buy a 12-1 box out of a 92 Grand Cherokee for the American till I put some time in on the Americans current setup. I now have plans to put the 92 box in the Convertible. With it's large stock steering wheel on the tilt column and the fact I know how to adjust assist pressure I think I can get it pretty well tuned in and have nice manners/road feel and keep the old school look all at the same time. I picked up a Gladiator Saginaw pump and P/S steering bracket for the 327 so I can use a more modern pump and tune it!

If anyone wants a Saginaw pump on the gen I engine the Jeep trucks and wagons are the place to get it!  Jeep moved to the Saginaw P/S pumps before AMC did :-) AFAIK all the 65-68 327 trucks with P/S have the Saginaw pump!

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)