Re: [Amc-list] Seems like I remember the horn contacts are slightly diff

Re: [Amc-list] Seems like I remember the horn contacts are slightly different

" From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
"
" Andrew, You can make a start towards a little more road feel
" easy.  Go get a P/S valve out of a Wrangler 91-95 for sure maybe
" others too.  The pressure is down around 800 + - compared to
" 1000-1100 ish on the XJ.
" []
"
" You can get similar lower assist valves out of Mustang GTs in the
" 80's etc.  Most all of them use the same pump body and valve IIRC.

one can also swap the t-bar in the p/s gear valve body.  a wide
variety is available.

" Purists will scream you are not increasing road feel because you
" don't change the valving etc, in the box, but it does help!  You
" will have a hard time finding a manual box for an XJ.  Most common
" was early 4cyl MJ's as work trucks.
"  Be warned they are like Americans, many, many turns lock to
" lock and since they are designed for trucks they have crap road
" feel too!

aren't they bog-standard '75-up saginaw manual boxes?  some reason i
can't get one from any gm car?  i was thinking of getting one set up
with 20:1 or even 16:1.  i have a 16:1 box in my american and the xj
is a very similar weight, though tires are larger.

i know that about '75 sag changed manual boxes to have the same
mounting pattern as the 800 ps gear.  btw the vega 605 ps gear has the
old manual pattern, for anyone wanting ps in say an early american.