Re: [Amc-list] Oh generator, thou doth suck.

Ken Ames wrote:
> This car doesn't have an ammeter then?

Nope. Just the GEN idiot light. Which is useful, actually, since it's
tied between the battery and generator, if there's any glow at all the
battery V is less than the generator V.

A voltmeter is more useful than an ammeter, I think; terminal voltage
tells you about state of charge, whereas an ammeter just says if current
is flowing into or out of the battery. A battery at 10V with 10 amps
going in it is still a dead battery... but a battery with 12.5V etc is
mostly charged. If the battery is a dud (high internal resistance or
other problem) turning on the headlights with the car off the voltage
will drop a little if good, a lot if bad.

I need to add a voltmeter...