Re: [Amc-list] Oh generator, thou doth suck.

Matt Haas wrote:

> You may want to check out some of the hot rod parts places. I know I've
> seen ads for alternators that are built inside of generator housings.
> Also, I think the alternators GM used before the 10si are lower output
> but those are also use external regulators.

Yeh, those hot rod alternators are nice! Pricey though, and the
contrarian in me likes the generator. I think the up-high mount for an
ordinary GM alt is the way to go for us without PS and A/C.

So it looks like with the higher idle, and seriously cleaned up
contacts, the generator is again adequate to the task. Just adequate. It
again points out to me two things: one, how inter-linked and touchy this
old tech is; everything is open-loop and if the battery is not charging
right? it's the driver that has to figure it out! Modern cars have
better parts (alternators!) and better systems (fewer interconnects in
critical parts, computer management of idle speed).

But, two, if you have the gumption to constantly monitor, diagnose,
prevent, fix, you can get this old crap pretty damn reliable. My
drop-dead measure is, how many times I've been stranded in any way by
the car. I don't count scheduled downtime like normal trans rebuild or
whatever. THe 63 classic wagon, not once in a decade or more. I had a
few failures in the first couple of years with it (ignition wiring
problem, LPG filler valve stuck, probably one or two more, that were all
due to my changes or old parts not yet repaired. In 1996 an axle half
parted; old bad forging, 2000 or so (vacuum) wiper motor failed on a New
Mexico road trip (disassembly in parking lot!). This year, ran out of
LPG when the tank level sender stuck at 1/4. That's it. Problems yes,
but inconveniences like heater valve not opening.

The American is still in the initial shake-down phase as I look at it.
If I continue to have problems with the generator that I can't
lifestyle-change around, I'll find a way to stick an alternator in it.

Until then I look at every single failure with a paranoid eye; could I
have prevented this? Can it be beefed up? Modernized? Should I change
these on a regular basis?

The 63 Classic is a "modern" car in pretty much every way that matters.
With the 232 and disc brakes and modern tires it's just fine on modern
highways at 70 - 75mph with a typical load. The American however really
is a much older car, it's not a quality thing, it's just small and
"spare" in features. I got rear-ended once by a Nissan pickup in the
Classic; wrecked the rear quarter etc but safely drivable and was easily
repaired. I don't think the American would have survived that; it's just
too light and not much redundancy or extra metal. A coast to coast trip
in the American would be a small challenge; it was a no-brainer in the
Classic. It's hard to say exactly why the difference...