[Amc-list] Oh generator, thou doth suck.

[Amc-list] Oh generator, thou doth suck.

the gm 10si alt is REALLY easy to hook up inplace of the old gen. i had to do that to my 62 classic earlier this year. my gen quit, shorted out the voltage regulater, causing (of all things) the regulator to catch on fire at my last show of '07 when i was still in oklahoma. didnt burn nothing but the regulator.

all 3 wires that go to the gen, you hook right up to the alt. heavy wire, put it on the red post on the 10si. its the main charge line. i did notice on mine, when the bat was low, the wire would get hot as the alt puts out alot more amps than the gen did. so i would put a little heavier wire. the small green maybe? i forgot, wire that goes to the gen that runs the idiot light, run that wire to the wire on the 10si that energizes it.

the idiot light works perfectly. due to the pulley gearing on the crank, the 10si still, at idle does not put out full charge. needs to pick up to about 1000 rpm for it to charge. but works MUCH better than the old gen. if someone needs more info on the 5 min job i did to put the alt inplace of the gen, i can go out, and get wire colors of what went where. its cold and snowy out at the moment.

dave stohler
my rambler pics@
http://picasaweb.google.com/das24rules