------------
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 15:28:01 -0500
From: "oldcars@xxxxxxxxx" <oldcars@xxxxxxxxx>

A good wiring diagram for this conversion (Delco generator to Delcotron [alternator -- 10si or 12 si] with internal regulator, with a 3-wire connection so that the "idiot" light on the dash will still work) can be found at this Corvair site (since the Corvair used an indentical generator):

http://www.unm.edu/~geoffj/Vair/Alternator.html

Of course, I still have to either fix the 62 T96 by installing the
internals from the 67 T96, or to swap over the 67 Clutch housing...but
since I will plan on installing the 67 199, I guess I better keep the 62
housing so that the whole assembly can be installed in the correct
position, since the rear mounts are on the 62 housing.

I think I will end up using the 67 insulators in the holes on the middle
(suspension) crossmember, and work up some adaptor plates to go between the
brackets on the sides of the 199 and the insulators. The difference in
mounting position looks to be about 2 1/2 inches forward from the 64-style
location, and about an inch to 1 1/4 inches higher.
I hope that plate stock will work for the plates. If the plates work out,
it could be a standard part for swapping in 7-main-bearing engines in place
of the 172-184-196.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"