Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 09:58:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>

 From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>

> > Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Full flow 195.6 oil pump
> > To: "AMC List" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Date: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 8:52 AM
> > I was writing a little mention of not putting the full flow
> > pump on the
> > older block for the next issue of AMC (won't go out
> > until just after
> > Christmas, unfortunately... life gets in the way!), and it
> > dawned on me
> > as to WHY the oil output changed. It's the location of
> > the pressure
> > bypass! It's in the block of the older engines, so oil
> > HAS to go BACK to
> > the bypass valve in the block! That's the passage that
> > is exposed when
> > the full-flow pump is installed on an older block. There
> > should be no
> > problem with simply blocking that off with a plate as I
> > suggested since
> > the full-flow pump moves the by-pass valve to the pump
> > cover.

So Frank, you are saying that I could plug the extra hole on the pump (where the oil is leaking from now) and it would work on a pre-1965 block?  I do plan to take some pictures later today and I'll be pulling the pump off again this morning.  I really would like to try to use the full flow oil filter if I can.

I never did get an answer to my question about the proper oil filter (Wix or Fram number) to go on that pump.  NAPA said a Fram PH11 was not correct and sold me a Napa Gold, but I don't have the number right here.  I think I put it in a previous post.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"