Re: [Amc-list] Big three bailout

Armand Eshleman wrote:

> Unfortunately I believe you have already bought a foreign car. Be it a Ford
> F-150, a Mustang GT, a Dodge Charger, Pontiac Grand Prix or what ever you
> want to call an American made car.
> [...]
> When the feds give the OK to restrict imported components to American cars,
> that's when we will be much better off.
>
> Keep our cars American.

I was with you 100% until that last statement. IMHO, this desert-island
thinking is so 19th century. There is no such idyllic isolationist place
left in the world. It's all one big market now, with suppliers all
interrelated and interdependent.

(to this thread, not you, Armand) The war is over. We can't be like
those japanese soldiers hunkered down on some isolated Phillipine island
for 40 years after the war ended.

And harping on the Japanese just sounds like racism to me.

If you ask me, Walmart is one of the most evil businesses in the US. It
ruins local businesses. It waves red-white-blue and sells low grade crap
made in China. I went to one once, never again. Garbage.

Only GE and RCA still make anything electronic (assembly). No idea if
it's US or elsewhere. It's the worst crap ever. Sony was great, 10 years
ago; they've bloated up into arrogant, expensive, incompatible junk. Now
it's Samsung -- by default, all my electronic stuff is Korean. Cutting
edge tech, good quality, good value.

I like Korean goods, and I like Korean people. Hard working, smart as
hell, friendly, and worldly. We should do so well.

Reagan brought on all this paper-money-kiting deregulation that even the
auto industry indulged in, making money by cooking books. The smart ones
all "cashed out" leaving the rest of us holding the bag. Very American
that! But nothing to be proud of.

If we can't stare reality in the face, admit that there are faults and
problems, we can never fix them.

This indulgent consumerism of flashy newness valued over quality and
frugality began post-war, and (us) baby-boomers are the worst generation
ever. Greedy, selfish, think "we" own the world.

Don't forget, 50's American cars were the worst in a lot of ways. All
those finned monstrosities with huge engines and no brakes outsold solid
values, tradition and do-it-yourself. Brands like Nash and Packard fell
by the wayside for gaudy crap.

There's your AMC content.