Re: [Amc-list] TBI fuel injection tuning...

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Don't forget when you start talking about how great timing control would be you are limited by the mechanical nature of the dist.

Not a problem for the 258 etc, of course, but the 195.6, a distributor
would have to be fabricated from scratch. I've been intending to looking
into doing just that. I'd have to fit the upper rotating assembly of a
usable distrib (HEI) to the shaft and housing of the old Delco. None of
the inliners crowd has a decent 6cyl delco fix either for their motors
(that don't have some explicitly hot-rod aftermarket job) so there's a
place for someone to fab up for a market.

It's not a trivial project, but it's nice and contained; I do it on the
bench as a side project. If it's too hard or doesn't work, no harm done.

>   Too much advance in relation to the rotor and you send the spark to the wrong cylinder.
> Also, is there a wide blade rotor available and or a wide cap?

Oooh, good point! Duh! Certainly none will be available except by
accident (eg. replacement for old rotor made with new design tips).

> That buck you feel is the spark going the wrong way.

Oh I know... and probably coil firing before the rotor has fully touched
the contact! now that you pointed that out to me...

> 4.0L's have tat problem with aftermarket timing sets and cams from time to time.
> You getthe buck on a long grade at tip in of the throttle.

That's the symptom exactly.

> There is an indexing procedure you have to use to make sure your dist is set properly.

I've seen the procedure (drilled cap and all that), I spoze I should do
that. I can probably figure out where the rotor/contact is at 35 degrees
advance too.

> No dist and elctronic controls shine here as you can fire the plug whenever you choose.

Coil per plug! Or using standard parts, 3 coils (in cylinder pairs;
firing into exhaust cycle is harmless) then no distributor at all, just
a zero mark off the crank somewhere. Don't think I haven't thought of
this... :-)