Re: [Amc-list] Best Jeep Cherokee?

Thanks for all the advice!

I'm not in a hurry and want a vehicle that will stay basically stock with some key mods.  I travel alot, often by motorcycle - which is my main transportation year round to work and such - so am looking for something that I can travel in, camp, and have the capacity/ability to handle most things when I don't or can't ride a bike - like if I want to go North during a snowstorm, light 4 wheeling to take on fireroads and such carrying mama and the dogs.  I don't need it for daily transportation.

I have a "dream" vacation I've never been able to put together and that is to do the Alaska Highway, spend some time up there, take the ferry system back to Seattle area, then crosscounty back to Florida.  I believe the Cherokee would be perfect for that if I can find the time to do it.

I've been looking online some for 4 dr loaded versions with less than 100K miles and there's quite a few out there.  I feel better about the AW4 after reading your posts - I've never liked autos, but it's hard to find loaded versions with a 5 speed, and I think the auto is a better choice for many reasons in this application.

The years I plug in are 92-4, 97-8, and 00 or 01 up?  Not sure I understood the problems with the later ones other than head cracking, but I'd think if they were going to do that, it would have already happened, yes?  Any other tidbits?

Jim Boone
Mims, FL